Tuesday 10 September 2013

A Greek Classic

I peruse the internet frequently always searching for inspiration, new techniques and all the wonderful offerings it gifts me with. I once made a meal which I laughed about with my best friend because we prepared recipes from different media. One I prepared from a cookbook, the other was from watching a you tube video and the last was from a recipe off a blog. That's life in the 21st century summed up!

So anyway, I was scouring Food And Wine magazine website which I do often enough and I saw a recipe I just had to have. It was a recipe for kourambiedes, which for those not familiar with it is a traditional Greek cookie. I love this cookie and oddly enough, I have never made it yet. I think it's probably because I just end up making French sable cookies or shortbread when I have a hankering for something rich, tender and buttery. That is about to change though.

I have a great recipe for kourambiedes from one of my Greek cookbooks but it includes almonds and my niece has nut allergies so I have decided to go with the Food And Wine recipe. I recommend trying this cookie and storing them in an airtight tin. When you feel that 4 pm hunger pang come on have a cup of tea or coffee and a couple cookies. It should more than hold you out until dinner. 

Kourambiedes (recipe from Food And Wine's Grace Parisi)

2 sticks ( 1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons brandy
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for coating
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of salt
In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter at high speed until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add the egg yolk, brandy and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Sift the flour with 3/4 cup of the confectioners' sugar, the baking powder, cloves and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in 3 batches, beating at low speed just until smooth. Scrape the dough onto a large sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper and roll into a 2-inch log. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
Preheat the oven to 325°. Line 2 heavy baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the dough and roll it into a perfect cylinder. Cut it into 3 equal pieces. Slice each piece crosswise into 12 cookies and arrange them on the prepared sheets about 1 inch apart.
Bake the cookies on the top and middle racks of the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden on the bottom; shift the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking. Let the cookies cool slightly on the sheets, about 15 minutes.
Pour confectioners' sugar into a large shallow bowl. Add the warm cookies in batches and heavily coat the tops and sides. Transfer to a sheet of wax paper that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar and let cool.
MAKE AHEAD The cookies can be stored in an airtight tin between layers of wax paper for up to 2 weeks.

These cookies were so buttery and favourful. The brandy flavour was redolent and I think it's a new favourite. Bear in mind that I am extremely gluttonous and impatient so I didn't wait too long for the dough to chill. I measured my cookie dough into tablespoonfuls and rolled them into balls then baked for 25 minutes.



 Perfect with afternoon tea or coffee. 



No comments:

Post a Comment