Saturday 11 October 2014

Remembering My Grandmother

Hi all, it's been a while since my last blog post but I am back and hopefully will post some more soon. My son started nursery and his adjustment has been great but the downside of it is that we both got the flu twice since he started. My husband was spared, he believes in oregano oil and ginger tea and I guess it works.

So with flu season in mind my post today is on chicken soup which brings me back to my paternal grandmother, Jasmine. She is no longer here with us but she was such an inspirational woman in my life. She was a real mother in every sense - humanistic, nurturing, gentle and loving. She also always had a set menu of everything she would cook for that week and one of her specialties was her Monday soup made with beef and beef bones and vermicelli. This soup was so comforting and it was the panacea for sick mouths. I have made mine with chicken because it's what I had on hand and I wanted mine to be a little lighter.

This is a basic recipe but feel free to improvise and add any other vegetables you wish. You can also make this soup with beef instead of chicken, and if doing so then use beef stock instead of chicken. I left the skin on the chicken because I find the fat adds more flavour. Don't skimp on fresh seasoning either, especially celery as that imparts flavour. You can garnish with fresh flat leaf parsley at the end of cooking, I used scallions because that's what I had on hand but parsley would be excellent. So enjoy this heirloom recipe and share with those in your family who may be down with the flu.

Chicken Noodle Soup

2 chicken breasts on the bone with skin
1 large carrot cut into large chunks
2 stalks of celery chopped into large chunks
1 medium onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp finely chopped thyme leaves
3 tbsp finely chopped parsley or scallions or both
2 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water
3 medium potatoes cut into cubes
frozen corn kernels (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup of vermicelli pasta (you more if you wish but bear in mind it will thicken the soup)
salt and pepper flakes
Extra virgin olive oil


1. Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts with the vegetables, thyme, stock and water. Season with salt and chili flakes. Bring this to a gentle boil then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 25 minutes.
2. Once the time has elapsed remove the chicken breasts and carefully cut the breast meat off the bone into chunks. Add the chicken, frozen corn, scallions and vermicelli and over the pot for another 5 to six minutes until the pasta is cooked. Garnish the soup with additional herbs if you wish. Taste and adjust for seasoning.




No comments:

Post a Comment