Thursday 29 May 2014

Coconut Bundt Cake

Today I was in the mood for baking and one of the goodies that I like to bake is bundt cakes. I recently purchased this book called "One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes For Delicious Desserts" and I have to admit I became hooked on the premise. It basically is from scratch baking but doing it simply with just one bowl. So not such a big mess and definitely fewer steps. That's never a bad thing.

Coconut is one of my favourite ingredients. I adore in both savoury and sweet applications. If I visit a sweet shop or Patisserie I always have a predilection for anything with coconut. Coconut cake is quite possible one of the best cakes every invented and today I made a really simple one but with huge results. This cake was ultra moist, not overly sweet and full of coconut flavour. There is a chocolate pound cake recipe that I have my eye on so look out for the post on that one.

Get this book and don't let the simple title fool you. This one is a treasure of yummy baked goods. I highly recommend it to the busy mums who try to cook from scratch. It's a keeper. Enjoy!

Glazed Coconut Bundt Cake (recipe adapted from "One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes For Delicious Desserts by Yvonne Ruperti)

Cake Batter:
20 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing the pan
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups coconut milk
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups cake flour plus more for dusting
2 1/4 tsp baking powder

Glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
2 tbsp full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut

Place an oven rack in the middle position. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.

To make the cake: In a large bowl, whisk the butter, sugar, and salt until creamy.
Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until each is incorporated.
Whisk in the coconut milk, coconut and vanilla.
Add the flour and baking powder to the bowl, then stir until just combined.
Spoon the batter into the pan and bake until golden, just firm and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan to cool completely before glazing.

To make the glaze: Stir the sugar and coconut milk together in a bowl until smooth. Spoon over the top of the cooled cake, letting the glaze drip down the sides. Sprinkly the coconut over the top.




No comments:

Post a Comment